So because we’re in a century plus old house, our closet rod at the front fell down the other day completely. But good thing it did in a way because it allowed me to see what the space looked like without it in. And I decided to move the bar to the other wall for something different. Sometimes what appears to be something bad is a blessing in disguise (actually most times it is). So I set to work thinking of how I was going to mount the closet rod again and planned what board I would use for the shelf on top etc.
After a day or so, I was able to go to the store and pick up a couple new closet rod brackets at the Home Depot which would work nicely ($10) and wouldn’t break my budget. By the way, I almost always try to do things the cheapest way possible because I love to see how I can repurpose things I find for free or laying around our workshop in the basement. So it just so happened we had an old but ding-free board from an entertainment unit in the basement which I chose for my shelf. Next I had to measure how long the shelf would need to be, so I took my tape measure and measured off the space for the closet, and asked my hubby to cut the board accordingly (he used our jigsaw which I cannot bring myself to use yet). So after that, I held up the board and took a bracket in hand, and drew lines under the shelf where the holes would be drilled for the screws to go in from the underside of the brackets. This part was tricky doing on my own, but I didn’t have much choice as my hubby was laying down with a headache/sore muscles. I finally managed to get everything lined up and marked the holes out. Then I got ready to drill holes into the shelf board, matching up the appropriate sized drill bits for the screws that came with the brackets. To make things easier, I first attached the brackets to the bottom of the shelf, then I decided to attach the brackets to the wall. I’m glad there was already some boards along the wall to rest the shelf on at one side, which helped when propping everything up. I was able to secure the top screws into the wall through this board, but next I had to cut some short boards to go in behind the bottom half of the shelf brackets along the wall since there was a gap there between the wall and the brackets. So I cut two equal-sized boards, and nailed them to the wall behind the brackets. Next I drilled holes for the screws to go into the bottom fo the brackets and put those screws in. Everything went pretty good overall, I just had a bit of trouble at one point when I went to drill some holes and the drill bit wasn’t quite lined up properly so when I went to drill, the bit came out sideways a bit and scraped one of my fingers which was holding the board… 🙁 Thankfully I didn’t drill a hole in my hand! But lesson learned – always make sure the drill bit is in straight!!
So there you have it, I was able to finish putting up this closet in one evening and finished hanging back up all our jackets and sweaters. Next step will be to put in some hooks for my cleaning supplies since I don’t have a linen/broom closet. Catch you next time, folks!